Dry ice needs to be treated carefully, as it is frozen carbon dioxide at a temperature of approximately -78c. Understand that dry ice does not melt but rather sublimates from a solid to a gas as the temperature increases. Be sure to read Safe Handling Of Dry Ice prior to starting so you understand how to keep things safe. The method is relatively simple, you just need to take care.
- Line the bottom of a deep pot with the dry ice.
- Place a rack onto of the ice, perhaps place a cup or something similar to rest the rack upon so it is not touching the ice.
- Lay your fruit on the rack ensuring it does not touch the ice as it will freeze.
- Cover the pot with a damp kitchen towel and allow to infuse for 45 minutes. Do not seal the pot as this will cause pressure to build up and possibly explode.
- After 45 minutes remove the fruit and eat a fizzy piece of fruit.
- Alternatively place the fruit on the ice and allow to freeze, then add them to your favorite drink.
- This is great to impress your friends with.